History of the University of Music Karlsruhe
The origin of the University of Music Karlsruhe date back to 1812, when a musical education institute for wind instruments was founded on private initiative. With the city's support, two years later a singing institute was founded. These two institutions were followed in 1837 by a Musical Education Institute, where exact curricula were taught with state and municipal supervision. In 1910, this musical institution merged with the Grand Ducal Conservatory founded in 1883 by Heinrich Ordenstein. In 1929, it became the Badische Hochschule für Musik, taken over by the state of Baden-Württemberg in 1971 and transferred to the Staatliche Hochschule für Musik Karlsruhe. Rectors have included Eugen Werner Velte, Wolfgang Widmaier, Fany Solter, Wolfgang Meyer, and since 2007, Hartmut Höll. Since 1971, the university has enjoyed continuous artistic and academic growth.
Presently, around 620 students are enrolled at the University of Music Karlsruhe. The faculty comprises 80 full time professors and teachers as well as around 180 lecturers. There are currently 40 administrative staff and seven technical and maintenance workers.